OKC Farmers Public Market is a concert and special event facility located in Oklahoma City.
The Oklahoma City Farmers Public Market first opened its doors on June 16, 1928 on the site of the Delmar Gardens Amusement Park. John J. Harden built the two-story, 40,000 square foot structure at a cost of $500,000. The downstairs was mainly used by farmers who sold fresh produce. Upstairs there were concerts, dances, boxing matches and roller-skating.
For years there had been a need for a central public market for local farmers to sell their produce. Farmers would bring their wares into Oklahoma City and sell them on the streets, creating congestion and traffic problems. The Market came about as a result of this long standing conflict between local farmers and the downtown business community.
In its heyday, the building also housed a grocery store, meat market, candy store, bakery, café, and drug store.
The “fan or mall” is a 20,000 square foot building that once wrapped around three sides of the main structure. It was divided into 9 x 18 foot stalls in order for farmers to pull their trucks or wagons in to set up shop for the day.
In 1982, the main building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the second largest building in Oklahoma City on the national register.
After years of neglect, Burt and Jody McAnally purchased the six-acre property in July 2002 from John E. Harden, grandson of the original owner.
Past Musical Acts
Hank Williams, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Bob Wills, Charlie Daniels, Arlo Guthrie, Dick Dale, Chief Keef, Big Gigantic